The D-H Surgical Technology Training Program is accredited with the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP). Graduates of our program are eligible to sit for the National Board of Surgical Technology and Surgical Assisting (NBSTSA) exam to become Certified Surgical Technologists (CST).
This 11-month program is designed to prepare you for career opportunities in the surgical field and includes a general education component which complements the comprehensive skills-based specialty training. Classroom theory and laboratory hands-on training is supplemented with clinical experiences to make up the curriculum of study.
- Didactic: 695 hours of foundational course work
- Lab skills: 200+ hours of practical application of didactic information
- Clinical: 600+ hours of real life demonstration of acquired skills in a professional operating room setting
Upon successful completion of this program, you will:
- Exhibit practical proficiency in the surgical arena
- Be knowledgeable in Anatomy and Pathology related to each body system that prompts surgical intervention
- Be proficient in surgical steps of all surgical specialties
- Develop effective communication and decision-making skills in a high stress environment
- Master skills in aseptic technique for successful patient safety outcomes
- Analyze the departure from classroom theory to on-the-job training in the operating room
- Integrate knowledge of personal and medical ethics into the surgical arena
- Develop a familiarity with commonly used surgical instruments